Jeffersonville daycare operator turns herself in months after 5 month old dies in her care

JEFFERSONVILLE, Ind. — A Jeffersonville daycare operator has been charged in the death of a 5-month-old, who died at her non-licensed daycare. Delta Trimble turned herself in after the Clark County Sheriff’s Office issued a warrant for her arrest, according to Attorney Larry Wilder.

“Ms. Trimble truly has a heavy heart over what has happened and the loss of a child in her care. You could see from her demeanor  she is ready to address what her responsibility is for those events,” Wilder said.

Police say Trimble had methadone and amphetamines in her system when investigators arrived for a death investigation in September 2019. Trimble is also charged with reckless supervision by a child care provider and operating an in-home daycare without a license.

Trimble told investigators that a 5-month-old was found not breathing, laying on his belly on an adult bed. 

Trimble said the infant was left in that position for two to three hours before she checked on him. The child was transported to Clark Memorial Hospital where he was pronounced dead. 

An autopsy found that the infant died from asphyxia due to unsafe sleeping conditions. Police also found that Trimble’s daycare had been investigated by Indiana Family and Social Services Administration for operating an unlicensed, illegal daycare.

Police said there were 16 children ranging from 5 months old to 4 years old present at the daycare during the investigation.

Prosecutors tell us there were numerous attempts made by the state to cause her to cease and desist so today’s outcome was the result of her not cooperating for some time.

“I don’t think the families had knowledge that this was an illegal operation,” said Clark County Prosecutor Jeremy Mull.

In the state of Indiana having a license is a requirement, and she did not have one. But Mull says he doesn’t believe Trimble did something intentionally to hurt the child. That’s why she’s not being charged with murder, but is being charged with neglect and recklessness.

“I’m going to try to get justice for this 5 month old victim.This should not have happened to this child,” Mull said.

Mull requested a larger than usual bond at $200,000. The judge granted it and she was released on that bond almost immediately. Mull also asked that she not be able to be around children 18 and younger who are not family, which the judge also granted.

“So it’s my hope that this will prevent her from having any control over children in the future,” Mull said.

As her and her lawyer prepares for their next steps, he says there is one big question they must answer.

“Was her conduct, a direct cause of the death,” Wilder questions.

The next time Trimble will be at the county court house will be on March 4th for her next appearance.

RELATED: Norton Children’s Hospital seeing a record number of patients with RSV

RELATED: Police investigate Clarksville daycare after woman finds 2 kids wandering away

►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the WHAS11 News app now. For Apple or Android users. 

Have a news tip? Email, visit our Facebook page or Twitter feed