LMPD: 2 dead from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning after car left running in closed garage

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Two people are dead from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning Wednesday afternoon at a residence in the Buechel neighborhood, MetroSafe said.

Louisville police said they responded to a call of a gas leak in the 4100 block of Sanford Ave. at around 12:15 p.m. When officers arrived, they located a female inside the home that was deceased.

LMPD said there was a “strong smell of carbon monoxide,” and officers found a man dead inside a car running in an enclosed garage attached to the home. Police said they believe both people succumbed to the fumes from the car.

While the victims’ names were not released, police said they appear to be relatives. No foul play is suspected. The Major Crimes Unit is investigating.

►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the WHAS11 News app now. For Apple or Android users.